Sunday, July 15, 2007

Michael's graduated, but not the audience... and the foam hands!


Believe it or not, I went to watch Michael Learns to Rock this weekend in Genting (yes, it's Genting again and I got sandwiched again while queuing - this time my tolerance limit was wider). Someone bought us a pair of tickets and two-night hotel room for this show - my excuse (yeah, whatever...)

I bought a CD of MLTR on the way to Genting, and started to realize that I was quite familiar with a few of their songs. They're more than just Actor or Sleeping Child; there are songs like Someday, That's Why You Go Away, 25 Minutes, and Out of the Blue. All of them are love songs. Some are quite cheesy. But, it's hard to keep up with the kind of music I liked to listen 10 years ago. Honestly, I enjoyed the music during the concert.

Having not seen concert for some time (the last concert I saw was U2 Vertigo Tour 2005 - which was a bomb!), I think MLTR did fine. I would say MLTR has graduated from learning rock (answer to a typical question: "are they still learning to rock?"). The beginning was quite shaky, though. The audience seemed not familiar with the songs. The singer even once said: "I hope you know this next song." Poor guy...

If MLTR satisfactorily passed the "learning" with C+, the audience and environment miserably failed. The audience were below expectation. That, plus foam hands provided by the sponsor. It felt like, you know, watching a mix of sport match, music concert, and Kuis Siapa Berani. Puh-leeze...

Or Aneka Ria Safari. S-A-F-A-R-I... SAFARI!!

And the environment too. I captured a short video of what how it was like (pay attention on the waving foam hands). The songs were probably not too conducive for a "having fun" environment, but I believe the audience have got a lot to learn.



Oh, there were also the ushers that were so busy reminding people not to take pictures. Poor them for doing their job (that was just impossible to do it that way). It's like mistaking symptoms for root causes - I'll save my thoughts for another post :)

Well, Michael rocks!